Thursday, January 5, 2012

One bite at a time

I am humbled, encouraged, and deeply grateful for the response to the cry in my last post.  Your facebook posts, emails, prayers and comments have been taken to heart, I've smiled, cried, and have felt the cyber arms of comfort surround me from your caring words, and feel the peace that only the One who made me can give.

As I have gone about my tasks today, I have pondered the big picture, my overall goal in this venture, and how I can have incremental victory in the steps to get there.

Under the title of my blog are/were the descriptors, "Fifty pounds in five months, that's what I've got to lose.  What I'm hoping to gain is self-discipline in all area in my life."

I'm coming to understand that the first phrase is secondary while the second phrase is the key.  Practicing and learning self discipline is the only thing I have any control over.  Self control.  The weight loss will hopefully be an outcome of that, but it should not be the focal point.   So how do I keep on the right track and avoid the valley of discouragement?  It's going to take a lot of God-given strength, and a little partying!

Every day, every moment, every second, we make decisions, some biggies and some so insignificant we don't really consider the effect they may have.  The culmination of these decisions determines our direction.  Even the smallest choice matters.

To put this in food terms, how does an overeater eat cake?  By believing the lie that one crumb won't hurt, it's just a taste.  Temptation.  The minuscule amount of calories won't make a difference overall, right?  Then another taste really is harmless, after all, the first taste didn't hurt. Then a fork full, then a piece with ice cream.  Until the cake is gone.  At what point was this a bad idea?  Right from the very beginning.

Even so, the good decisions have the equal but opposite effect.  Saying 'no' to the crumb prevents me from eating the whole cake.  How much better off am I than if I had succumbed to that temptation?  Infinitely!  That moment deserves a celebration!   Getting through a day without loss of self control in any way is a major victory!!  Running to my heavenly Father instead of to food when things go awry, I can be jubilant knowing that he is there all the time, and has promised amazing things to his children:

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.  1 Corinthians 10:13 (NASB)

Did you catch that?  Even before we're tempted, there is already a way out provided!   There's always a choice, no matter how appealing or alluring the temptation!  No matter how creamy and chocolatey the icing is on that cake.


I choose to celebrate every victory, every day, every minute, every second!

By God's grace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Colleen...I identify so much with what you're saying. I have been down this road it feels like every day of my life...by the grace of God i had some victory over my uncontrollable eating this spring, but it is still very much a daily battle. I really cannot do it on my own and there are so many lies that i believe so naturally...may God grant you victory! You are such a brave lady! If you ever want to chat about it over coffee I would love to do that. Blessings to you!

Roselyn said...

I love this post. The scripture says it so plainly...there is a choice, a way of escape and with God's grace and strength we can choose to take it. I have also been working through this struggle as I am an emotional eater. Your posts are an encouragement. Take care today.