Sunday, December 11, 2011

Seeking Freedom

"If you set out to seek freedom,
then learn above all things to govern your soul and your senses...
Only through discipline may a man learn to be free."
~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

A friend had posted this quote as her facebook status quite some time ago and I wrote it out and placed it on my fridge as a reminder to have discipline in my eating habits.  I've read it so many times, but the digestion of the meaning is slow, and I am still scraping the bowl and finding more icing clinging to the sides.  

I am seeking freedom.  Freedom from the destructive emotional eating that has plagued me for years.  Freedom from the out-of-control feeling and the resulting anger that clouds my judgment and causes a lot of unhappiness.  I find it so interesting that Mr. Bonhoeffer states that I must LEARN to be free through discipline.  So what is discipline?

Merriam Webster has this to say:

Definition of DISCIPLINE

2 obsolete : instruction
3: a field of study
4: training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character
5 a : control gained by enforcing obedience or order  
   b : orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior  
   c : self-control
6 : a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity 

This definition sounds like developing a plan and sticking to it to prevent chaos. Hmmm.  So what does the Bible have to say?

"But the fruit of the Spirit is
love
joy
peace
patience
kindness
goodness
faithfulness
gentleness
self-control;
against such things there is no law.

Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."
~Galatians 5:22-24

Self-control is fruit.  Fruit is a result of a healthy tree, a branch connected to the vine.  If I am living in Christ, I will kill the natural passion and desire for comfort through food and replace it with a behavior that is enforceable and beneficial.

Freedom.

It's time for some fruit.

No comments: